Contacts to hire the village hall –
Chairman: Mr Ian Kinsey – Tel: 01874 624672
Secretary: Mrs Rowena Akinyemi – Tel: 01874 409054
Facilities include disabled access, disabled toilets, good kitchen facilities and car parking for 20 vehicles.
The hall is the centre of the community which was formerly an old Church School built in the 1800s and renovated in the 1990s to meet the required present day standards
The hall is used by the community and surrounding area for social events such as the annual village BBQ, Bingo and Quiz nights, Harvest Supper, Strawberry teas etc. A variety of organisations also use the hall such as the Sewing Group, U3A Art, Spinners/Weavers, parties, meetings and other functions.
The building was originally opened as a school on 7th October 1878 with 18 children attending. On 24th January 1879 a new clock was placed in the school, probably the John Hando clock which is still in the mail hall. The school closed on 31st March 1927 and thereafter the building became known as the Church Hall.
During the Second World War the building was made available to children who were war evacuees for education purposes. Before 1949 the Llanddew Women’s Institute arranged for the building of a corrugated iron annex to the main hall on the north side which provided an entrance area, kitchen and interior toilet. Over the years the original stone toilets and yard at the rear of the hall had become dilapidated and unfit for public use.
On 17th May 1987 a meeting of representatives of local organisations together with the Dean of Brecon and other representatives of St David’s Church, Llanddew was held when it was agreed that a Hall Management Committee be formed. This committee continued to run the hall for some years until the present Trust Deed formalised the matter in 1991 and the hall became a registered charity.